Location & Security
My home office was purpose built in 2010. It is separate from my home, but at the same street address.
From my home office, located in Almere, quite central in the Netherlands, nearly all major cities in the country can be reached within 1.75 hr. Especially during rush hours, public transport offers a good alternative.
Schiphol International Airport is a 40-minute drive away, or 45 minutes by train.
At SIC, your data and files are safe at all times.
Over the last few years, the following set-up has shown to be effective to this end. Some of these features are specified in the few SOPs I have in place:
– The only cloud-based service used is the MS Office365 suite, of which MS-Outlook is the only app to use a cloud-based archive
– USB storage devices (used both at my office and ‘on the road’) are only used for temporary storage/transfer and are securely wiped right after use
– I back up e-mails and agenda items from my e-mail app to local storage at least once per week
– To protect against HDD failure, my main pc runs Windows Disk Dynamic Mirror, which is comparable to RAID 1
– A full backup to an external HDD is made every month, after which the drive is stored at an off-site location
– All data on all machines in use (PC and laptop PCs) is encrypted using BitLocker
– I make sure all software used is up-to-date
– Passwords are stored in KeePass which is only used locally
– Paper records: a secure waste paper policy is in place for any printed confidential material, such as drafted reports